My name is Christine Yim and I was born in New York City.  I am the youngest in a family of four, and my parents and sister are involved in the medical field.  Despite my family background in the medical field, I have been involved in the education field ever since I was in high school.  For instance, when I was 15 years old, I started volunteering at my church to work with children in the summer day camp and Sunday school.  Furthermore, in college, I have been observing teachers, ranging from first grade to sixth grade teachers, during my fieldwork experiences in the following locations: P.S. 131, P.S. 139, P.S. 20, P.S. 26, the Immaculate Conception Catholic Academy, and the First Baptist Church of Flushing.  My experiences with working with children in the summer day camp brought forth my interest in becoming a teacher.  During the summer of 2012, when I was working as a helper in a first grade classroom, I realized my passion for working with children would forge my career path ahead of me.  I enjoyed working with the children, who were always so open-minded, friendly, and eager to learn.  While working with my students, a firm resolution began building within my heart as I thought to myself: ‘I love working with these kids so much that I feel like I can do so for the rest of my life.’  Furthermore, I became interested in seeking the path to become a teacher through my experience in teaching English to the Japanese students that same summer in the ELA class.  The three girls always listened to me enthusiastically and demonstrated improvement in their English language skills, making me understand the joys of teaching. 

Special interests I have are in East Asian languages, such as Mandarin and Japanese, which I am somewhat fluent in.  Competencies I have are in foreign languages and culture, psychology, and technology integration into the classroom.