Marine Corps Service

1976-1980

Above: Graduation Day, July 1976. My mother and [at the time] my Turkish-German girlfriend, Soraya Erkanli, flank me. Soraya taught me some introductory German. Vielen Dank Soraya , für alles!

Above: Qualifying with the classic M-14 rifle. This weapon was extremely accurate and extremely reliable. Although the later M-16 rifle could send more rounds down range, the M-14 was far more reliable and accurate. You could bury this semi automatic rifle in the mud, and it would still fire. The M-16 needed to be kept immaculately clean. The earlier models had issues like the firing pin and mechanism jamming on account of powder accumulation. Until the invention of the "forward assist" on later models, many U.S. service men lost their lives in Vietnam by jamming M-16 rifles.

Above: Barracks Duty. Before I served in the Fleet Marine Force, I served two years on barracks duty. This allowed me to wear the dress blue uniform more often than usual. The red stripes down the side of the trousers made the uniform!

Above: Coming home on leave was a great time to see the family and to be fed by EVERYONE!

Below: My grandfather. Like my mother, he was born in Asturias, Spain and even in old age, still wore his Spanish beret.

Below: 10 November, 1976. This was a dinner I attended celebrating the 201st year anniversary of the founding of the United States Marine Corps at Tunn Tavern, in Philadelphia.

Below: Soraya Erkanli (my girlfriend at the time) while I was on leave. My attention seemed to be focused on something to my left, while Soraya seemed to be smiling while contemplating something. Was hast du gedacht, Soraya?

Below: My mother, my niece, Sandy, and I while on leave. I was sullen that day - most likely because I was returning to the Fleet Marine Force and would soon miss my family.

Above: I tried to carry out my duty to the best of my abilities.

Above: Here I am (front row, right with hands on a friend's shoulder) with my comrades from the squad. Eventually I was made automatic riflemen, then when I picked up the rank of Lance Corporal, I became squad leader.

Above: Beginning in 1978 we transitioned from the old cotton, olive green uniform to the lightweight camouflage uniform. Notice however, that we were still carrying the old M-14 rifle. This photo was taken towards the end of my tenure on barracks duty. By then, the FMF (Fleet Marine Force) was fully equipped with the M-16 rifle.

Below: My sister and her first born, Sandy.

Above and Below: Saying goodbye to the platoon commander, the platoon sergeant, and the United States Marine Corps: August 2nd, 1980.

I consider my time in the United States Marine Corps as a great learning experience. It certainly gave me an appreciation for the value of an education. It also exposed me to people and situations outside of my "comfort zone." In addition, service in the United States Marine Corps tested my physical and mental limits. Finally, it allowed me (through the old G.I. Bill) to attend school and rise above my existing social/economic condition.

The Marine Corps was a learning curve that I did not quite appreciate at the time, but as time passes, I am more and more proud that I served and that I completed my four-year term of service with honor. While the military is definitely not for everyone, I would recommend it to those who need discipline in their lives as well as guidance.

For me, the experience turned out to be a positive one (although at the time, I did not realize it nor appreciate it). I value my time in the USMC as a lesson in life and have drawn examples and axioms from my experiences to help many of my students.

- Antonio J. Munoz