Alonso Cano- 1650. Granada, Un angel con la cabeza de San Juan 

Bautista.

This illstrates the figure of a child in distress, who is suffering. This

represents the cutting of  the heads of the Holy Saints in this one Juan Bautista. 

I chose this painting because I could empathize with the feelings of grief and sadness of the infant and because the sculptor did such a good job for my generation to see how people were executed in those times. For me it also is a sign of faith and a sign of God's love and sacrifice, if Juan Bautista who is now a saint give his life trusting in his faith, that we can too. 

About the painter, Alonso Cano: 1611-1667.

Alonso Cano was one of the Baroque Scolptures of Spaiin. He was born in Granda. 

He was also an architect and a painter. He was very succesful in Seville, Madrid and Granada. Hes most known sculpture is the "Immaculate Conception"1655 Granada Cathedral. He studies painting and sculture in Granada and learned architecture from an early age from his father Miguel Cano. In Madrid he was assigned Royal Architech and painter of the King. Later on in his life, he flea because he was being accused of the murder of his wife. 

"Circulo de Diego Velazquez" Retrato de la infanta Maria Teresa de Espana. 1969

Maria Teresa was a child 1638-1683, daughter of Felipe IV of Spain and of Isabel de Borbon. Various of these paintings exist one in the Metropolitan Museum of NY by Diego Velazquez, where it was painted the same except for the painting in Philadelphia. 

In Philadelphia, only half of the body was painted and they said it could be the original piece. The same weave and clothes to the one in Buenos Aires, also the same posture and the same expression. 

In Philadelphia the clothes, the TRAJE was well defined and the weave.

In Buenos Aires, the Profie, the ROSTRO and dress were well defined.

I chose this painting because their is a version in New York where I live and I thought I could visit it and compare one day to see if their different versions. The fact that a child was painted and that the expression and clothes are very conservative spoke to me quite alot about the era in which they lived in. Its almost like I can feel their way of keeping everything inside, buckled down whereas today, we express our personalities more by what we wear. 

About the Author, Diego Velazquez:

Velazquez was born in June 6, 1599 in Seville Spain. Learned painting under painter Francisco Pachecho at only age 11. His paintings were of religious inspirations. He had acess to the Royal Court where he met many influential painters such as Peter Paul Reubens. Velazquez travelled to Italy where he was influenced by great artist and at his return to Madrid he painted members of the Royal family. 

"La Poesia de la Naturaleza" Theodore Rosseau, Daubigny, Troyon, Corrot, and Courbet. 

I found this french passage a reason or motivation to transmit emotions reflected on humans. The natural air and the creation of God reflects emotions.

Background of the painting: The painters  wanted to escape modern living in Paris.

For them is atmosphere was  fluid air. 

About the Painter:  Rosseau was born is Paris. He first recieved training in business, but than expressed interest in painting. At first his work wasnt accepted, he encountered  difficulty launching his paintings into the public. It wasnt until 1849 that three of his works were accepted. He lived most of his life in Barbizon. He than became an Officer of the Legion of Honor.