I coach to serve the next generation.  It is easy to watch others and complain about the upcoming generations.  Easy, but wrong.  I cherish the opportunity to teach young men how to win at life through the game of baseball.  

This suggests that I have certain values that I would like to instill in the athletes.  If you were to envision a building called Excellence, the foundation would be based on integrity.  If we lack integrity our edifice will crumble and fall as the foundation will always be moving.  With a solid foundation, Excellence can last a lifetime.

Three pillars support the roof of Excellence.  The first pillar, selflessness, means that we think of things bigger than ourselves.  Pillar 2, constant improvement, means Excellence is built slowly—evolution, not revolution.  Finally, the third pillar, passion, is essential for Excellence.  Passion propels the team forward when we succeed and will urge us on when we are at our lowest.  

A resident of Excellence will feel that they matter as a man, not solely as a baseball player.  They will be challenged to meet high expectations but will always feel safe to make decisions and not be afraid of mistakes.  They will feel loved and connected.

I may never know if I was a success in terms of building leaders of character. That will depend on how each player lives his life.  My goal is to make a positive contribution to that construction process.  If people are better off after meeting the players, that is a strong indicator of success.