(Picture from http://terrybradleygifted.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/matilda.jpg)

Books and libraries are home to me. I attended book conferences and festivals for fun way before working towards being a librarian was even on my radar. When I announced that I was going to school to be a librarian, my friends and family were not surprised as this profession seemed made for me. Books and libraries gave me a place to learn and make sense of life. 

I plan on working as a teenage or children's librarian at a public library. One of the most important pieces of education I took away was the importance of knowing your population. Diversity and intellectual freedom are also important components to my professional philosophy. Because I want to work with children and teenagers, these are important issues of the day to be aware of and to engage in conversation about often. 

Furthermore, community collaboration is part of my professional philosophy because I think that libraries can be a ground for deep healing. I want to bridge a connection between libraries and mental health so that patients can understand what a wonderful, life-changing resource there is for them just at their local library. When people experience great grief, they need not walk alone. Books, libraries, librarians can help them see that they are not alone. 

Example Image