LIS 204: Introduction to Library and Information Science

Fall 2016

Brennan, M. (2016). The information organization: A place for creating. Unpublished manuscript, Division of Library and Information Science, St. John's University, Queens, New York.

Description

This is a paper I wrote for LIS 204: Introduction to Library and Information Science in the Fall 2016 semester. It deals with how libraries have evolved from being solely houses of books and solitary study to places of creating. In the paper, I explore the ways in which Makerspaces, and the maker culture, in general, have impacted libraries of all kinds from academic to school to public. I delve into the value creating can have from a developmental standpoint to an economical one. Libraries have a unique opportunity to become community hubs, where patrons can not only learn new information, but can then take that information and apply it to create something. It is one of the ultimate foundations of the profession today, an embracing of creating as well as learning, and thanks to technology, libraries are able to provide patrons with a space to tinker, and use knowledge actively to create something wonderful. 

Reflection

This assignment has allowed me to meet the ALA core competency regarding foundations of the profession. It has given me the chance to explore the history of libraries through research, and how they have evolved to be the organizations they are today. Through my research for this paper, I know that being places of creating, as well as learning, is a key goal of the profession, and is one I feel passionate about promoting as an information professional myself. This assignment has also allowed me to see some ways in which technology currently benefits patrons and this message of creating through Makerspaces and the maker culture. Technology is dynamic, though, and I can only imagine how it will impact libraries in the future. This is why another foundation of the information profession, which my research for this paper showed me, is to constantly stay up-to-date on current technology trends. It is only by doing this that I, as a professional, will be able to provide patrons with the best and most current services and materials.