Matthew A. Hamilton

I am a Richmond, VA based information professional with a particular interest in archives management and library administration. I hold a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in History from Belmont Abbey College, and a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Fairfield University. I earned a Master of Science in Library and Information Science (MSLIS) from Saint John's University in January 2019.

I have over ten years of experience as an information resource professional. In my current position at the Richmond City Sheriff's Office, I ensure that the library is maintained and stocked with current leisure books and law materials. In addition, I review and authorize the eligibility of pre-trial offenders who need time to use law library materials in order to prepare for their upcoming trials and appeals.

As a Master of Library and Information Science graduate student (St. John’s University '19), I familiarized myself with a wide range of information systems, internet research methods, cataloging, and data retrieval. In particular, I participated in three Academic Service-Learning Projects. One was with the University of Richmond; the other two with The Catholic Diocese of Richmond. Working with these institutions provided necessary training in research, historical analysis, data retrieval, cataloging, and archival preservation methods.

Both my analytic and creative ability are my two greatest assets in the MLIS field. I have been honored by past employers for my meticulous eye for detail and my resourceful means in collecting, analyzing, and presenting accurate information. Furthermore, I am dedicated in the work that I do, and I am always seeking opportunities to bring my skills, experience, and knowledge to higher institutions of learning and public service.