Matthew A. Hamilton

I am a Richmond, Va based information professional with a particular interest in archival management and library administration. I hold a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in History from Belmont Abbey College, and a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Fairfield University. I will receive a Master in Library and Information Science from Saint John's University in December 2018.

I have over ten years of experience as an information resource professional, the last 8 years spent in a supervisory role in library services at Benedictine College Preparatory, a private Catholic and Militaty high school in Richmond, Va. 

In my current position as Head Librarian for Benedictine College Preparatory, I work on projects to enhance the accessibility and functionality of the school’s and monastery’s archives. In addition, I maintain the library’s public access catalogs, computer systems, and audio visual equipment.

As a current Master of Library and Information Science graduate student at St. John’s University, I am familiarizing myself with a wide range of information systems, internet research methods, cataloging, and data retrieval. Thus far, I have participated in three Academic Service-Learning Projects. One was with the University of Richmond; the other two with The Catholic Diocese of Richmond. Working with these institutions provided necessary training in research, historical analysis, data retrieval, cataloging, and archival preservation methods.

Both my analytic and creative ability are my two greatest assets in the MLIS field. I have been honored by past employers for my meticulous eye for detail and my resourceful means in collecting, analyzing, and presenting accurate information. Furthermore, I am dedicated in the work that I do, and I am currently seeking an opportunity to bring my skills, experience, and knowledge to higher institutions of learning.