Core Competency Seven

Education and Lifelong Learning

LIS 231: College & University Libraries

Professor Kathryn Shaughnessy

Spring 2018

All Images © 2018. Matthew A. Hamilton. All rights reserved

Photo: PC Interior

Artifact 1

Artifact 2

Artifact 3

Description

The American Library Association (ALA) requires graduates of accredited MLIS programs to be fully knowledgeable of the eight core competencies of librarianship. My assignments for LIS 231: College and University Libraries, taught by Professor Kathryn Shaughnessy, focused on the third core competency: Continuing Education & Lifelong Learning (ALA, 2009). With Professor Shaughnessy's guidance and the diligent assistance from colleagues, I learned the value of library management policies and procedures utilized by information professionals working all over the world.

The seventh core competency stresses the necessity “of continuing professional development of practitioners in libraries and other information agencies” (ALA).

This seventh core competency was met successfully in five ways: 1. Learning the complexities and high-tech designs of today’s academic libraries, and the fiscally challenging measures necessary to maintain the security and safety for these types of facilities. 2. Writing memorandums that tackle tough issues like budgetary constraints on digital subscriptions and solutions to collaborate effectively with both proprietary software businesses and open source professionals. 3. Identifying challenges affecting academic libraries and other information facilities worldwide, and investigating those issues in order to help expedite practical settlements and solutions. 5. Working with colleagues from St. John’s University to come up with solutions for informational tasks within an online environment.

The three artifacts were chosen for inclusion for two reasons. First, they provided me with a platform to demonstrate the skills and knowledge I aquired in understanding the fundamentals of evaluating, teaching, and sharing documented knowledge and information. Second, it allowed me to network with classmates and provide peer-reviews for submitted work, thus complying with the Vincentian understanding of respect, which is: "Awareness of and esteem for all individuals" (Our Mission-St. John’s University, 2017). 

The culminating assignment from this class asked students to investigate a topic of their choosing that was affecting libraries, in particular academic libraries, around the world. I chose the topic Net Neutrality with the working title: The End of Net Neutrality Will Widen the Digital Divide (Artifact 3). Using both primary and secondary sources, I discovered that last year, on December 14, 2017, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) passed the Restoring Internet Freedom Order (RIFO). The order overturned the 2015 Open Internet Order (OIO), which had been established during President Obama’s administration (Enis, 2018). The OIO permitted the FCC to fairly regulate net neutrality, which enforced Internet Service Providers (ISPs) like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T, to manage all data traffic on the Internet equally. I discovered that, with the OIO overturned, ISPs would have the power to block Internet content or overcharge consumers Internet download speeds. I determined that such a practice would widen the digital divide and, thus, have a negative economic impact for everyone, in particular academic communities and marginalized members of society. Therefore, I reasoned it was imperative that net neutrality be restored, thus constricting the digital divide and keeping the Internet free and open for everyone. However, as of this writing, no definitive solution has been made regarding net neutrality rules.      

Finally, The End of Net Neutrality Will Widen the Digital Divide was given a peer review evaluation by colleagues, thus providing additional credibility for me as a reasearcher, and knowledgeable and qualified writer.

Reflection

The final class project requirement (The End of Net Neutrality Will Widen the Digital Divide) for LIS 231, because of its in depth approach to learning, was beneficial for my continued success in the field of library and information science. In particular, it helped me sharpen my researching and writing skills. Working on this project also provided insight into the challenges facing academic libraries in the United States and arround the world. Becoming familiar with the invigorating and transforming environment of higher education has allowed me to assist colleagues and other professionals alike by providing appropriate insight into todays library profession.

I gained a wealth of experience by taking this class. It increased my already energetic drive to discover new information and to appropriately organize, investigate and provide effective arguments in support of the role that academic libraries play in higher education. Furthermore, I improved my knowledge and skills regarding academic research, editing and writing. I am self-assured that, after having completed LIS 231, I will contribute knowledgeable insights and advice to other information professional communities and academic institutions, thus continuing the Vincentian understanding of excellence: "Striving, growing, never being complacent" (Our Mission-St. John’s University, 2018).

References

ALA. (2009). ALA's core competencies of librarianship. Retrieved October 12, 2018   

from http://www.ala.org/educationcareers/careers/corecomp.

Hamilton, M. A. The complexity of academic libraries: a design and operational point       of view (2018). St. John's University.

Hamilton, M. A. Riverside University Library budget memo. St. John's University.

Hamilton, M. A. The end of net neutrality will widen the digital divide (2018). St.             John's University. 

“Our Mission.” St. Johns University. Retrieved November 1, 2018 from       

https://www.stjohns.edu/about/our-mission.