Core Competency Four

Technological Knowledge and Skills

LIS 238: Web Design for Libraries and Information Centers 

Dr. James Vorbach

Spring 2017

All Images © 2018. Matthew A. Hamilton. All rights reserved

Photo: Boatwright Memorial Library. University of Richmond. Richmond, Virginia.

Artifact 1 

All Images © 2018. Matthew A. Hamilton. All rights reserved. 

Screenshot: Harleigh Bridges Schulz

Artifact 2    

Description

The American Library Association (ALA) requires graduates of accredited MLIS programs to be fully knowledgeable of the eight core competencies of librarianship. My assignments for LIS 238: Web Design for Libraries and Information Centers, taught by Dr. James Vorbach, focused on the fourth core competency: Technologocal Skills and Knowledge (ALA, 2009). With diligence and dedication, and the patient and thorough guidance from Dr. Vorbach, I learned the overall concepts of information architecture in terms of web design, and the value of a well-designed website has for libraries and other informational institutions. 

The fourth core competency stresses the "information, communication, assistive, and related technologies as they affect the resources, service delivery, and uses of libraries and other information agencies." (ALA 2009). 

The fourth core competency was met successfully in two ways: 1. Completing a series of web design excercises using WordPress. 2 Integrating what was learned in said design excercises by designing an archival website for a large institution. 

Designing a archival website was a group effort. I teamed up with Stephen Young, also a St. John's MLIS graduate student, to complete the assignment. We focused our webiste on the life and work of Mr. Harleigh Bridges Schultz (1883-1958), an alumnus of the Universithy of Richmond, class of 1904.  Ms. Lynda Kachurek, the Rare Books and Special Collections Librarian, agreed to work with us. She gave us full authority on website design, provided we kept her apprised of the project's progression. 

This project was chosen for inclusion for two reasons. First, it provided me with a platform to demonstrate the skills and knowledge I aquired in information architecture and web design. Second, it allowed me to network with a classmate and a liscensed information professional, thus complying with the Vincentian understanding of opportunity, which is: "Circumstances favorable to serving others and preparing one’s self for a fulfilling life" (Our Mission-St. John’s University, 2017). 

The goal of this project was to design a website that would act as an educational springboard for the Harleigh Bridges Schultz Collection. Thus, we hoped to enhance the already rich digital collections repository so that students and faculty were aware of the fascinating history of some of the university’s prestigious alumni. We also hoped to prompt a greater interest in the digital collections by expanding its resources. Twelve artifacts were chosen from the collection to be displayed on the website. Brief summaries of each artifact can be found in the exhibit section of Artifact 2.

Activities for this project took several weeks to complete. First, a meeting was held on 24 February 2017 with Ms. Lynda Kachurek. The collection contained newspaper clippings, high school records, letters, photographs, and a brief biography of Harleigh Bridges Schultz, written by his niece, Evelyn M. McLelland Boschen, in 1991. After evaluating the collection, 12 artifacts were selected. A list of the artifacts can be found in Artifact 2. Second, the website was set up and the artifacts digitized. Third, to ensure the projects ran smoothly, brief status reports were written and submitted to Dr. Vorbach.

Lessons learned from class readings and the experience gained working alongside Mr. Young and Ms. Kachurek, allowed me to directly sharpen my skills as a web designer, researcher, and digital librarian. Furthermore, working on this project provided me with valuable hands-on experience analyzing information sources, digitizing artifacts, and conducting research in an active and successful information environment.

Reflection

The Final Project requirement for LIS 238, because of its hands-on approach to learning, was beneficial for my continued success in the field of library technology, web design, and digital library information systems. In particular, it helped me understand, properly provide, and share additional digital artifacts to the already rich history of the University of Richmond (Hamilton, M., Young, Stephen 2017).  Working on this project also provided insight on the appropriate methods of not only organizing digital artifacts and information, but assuring accurate information and knowlege that comply to American Library Association Guidelines (ALA 2009), and St. John’s University standards (Graduation Requirements 2017).

I received a BA in History from Belmont Abbey College (1999) and an MFA in Creative Writing from Fairfield University (2013). Therefore, trained as an historian and writer, I was comfortable in my research and editing environment. However, I was not as familiar with digital librarianship. Thus, because Dr. Vorbach's guidance and Mr. Young's talents in digital archives and web design, the project was a success. The website we created enriched the academic significance of the Boatwright Memorial Library's digital collections and, in particular, the University of Richmond community.   

I gained a wealth of experience with this project. It increased my already energetic drive to discover new information and to appropriately collect, organize, and provide knowledge and information to students and researchers. Furthermore, I improved my knowledge and skills regarding website design and electronic repositories. I am self-assured that, after having completed LIS 238, I will contribute productive ideas and outcomes to information professional communities and academic societies. 

References

ALA. (2009). ALA's core competencies of librarianship. Retrieved 5 May, 2017   

from http://www.ala.org/educationcareers/sites/ala.org.educationcareers/files/c

ontent/careers/corecomp/corecompetences/finalcorecompstat09.pdf 

Hamilton, M., Young, S. Harleigh bridges schulz collection (2016). Retrieved 5 May,

2017 from https://harleighschultz.wordpress.com/#content

Hamilton, M. & Young, S. Website for the Harleigh Bridges Schulz Collection at the             University of Richmond (2016). St. John's University. 

St. John's University| Division of Library and Information Science (2017). Retrieved 8

May, 2017 from http://sjudlis.com/resources/graduation-requirements/