BD -> CA -> NY -> CA | St. John's University PharmD | College of the Canyons Electrical Engineering | California State University Electrical Engineering | Writer-ish

Born in the small Southeast Asian country of Bangladesh, and growing up in a military family, I have definitely had a different childhood than most of my American friends. Living in Bangladesh for almost the first 15 years of my life, I moved to the United States in 2013 with my family.

Moving here was quite a journey, going through immigration, too many interviews and too many screenings. Settling down with my family in California, I went to a local public high school, graduating in 2 years instead of the standard time of 4 years. From learning proper American English to balancing extra curriculars, my high school years were definitely some of the more easier years spent in the US.

Looking at colleges, I stumbled upon St John’s PharmD program, indeed a great opportunity to finally see myself doing some good to others. Only problem? I would have to move again, just pick up and leave exactly like I did with Bangladesh. But after considering everything, my parents decided that it was the best choice, and thus began my journey with St John’s for a PharmD degree. My first year here was by far the most important year of my life. I learned a myriad of life lessons and made a few friends for life. One of these lessons was standing up for what I wanted. This led me to telling my parents that I never wanted to do the PharmD program and thus moving back to California - much to the dismay of my parents. I continued my studies at a local community college.

College of the Canyons, a name well-known around Southern California for being one of the best community colleges in the nation. I came back from New York to start anew. I started out as a biomedical engineering major - something I wanted to do back when I was still in high school. After the first semester, and after settling in from the move, I decided that Electrical Engineering would be a better fit for what I wanted to do - alternative energy. This transition wasn't too difficult as BME is a derivative of EE.

Life only got busier and busier - it started out with full time school and a part-time job. Then it was overloading classes - 24/25 units/semester and the part-time job. Finally, it came to where I am now - working 1 full time, 1 part-time, and handling a full load of semester classes. Although very far from ideal, this is where I currently stand. It is extremely difficult, and sometimes I wish I could pick one or the other. But life doesn't always go according to plan. And this? This is just a small detour.

So there is my history, but what about me? I am a simple person, a humble military boy who has always tried to help as many people as he could. And look out for the environment wherever possible.