Topography & Oceanography

On ArcGIS we focused more topographic maps which we clarified as maps that measure elevation from sea level with contours. The steeper the terrain the closer the map contours are  which was helpful in seeing boundaries, roads, and green - uncivilized areas. My favorite map was actually the Oceans one as that is where I was able to view the Challenger Deep and see the continental land mass that is beneath the waters. 

Mapfight.appspot.com

On Mapfight.appspot.com I learned a new word contiguous in the sense that the United States contiguous is solely the land mass within the United States that share borders.  In this assignment we compared different nations or continents in terms of area. One of the two places I compared was the United States with China. I was surprised to find out that the U.S. was only 1.02km bigger than Mainland China. When I added the territories that China and the U.S. held the U.S. was much larger, but the main holdings of the U.S. on the North American continent have no greater a geographical advantage than China. This without looking at any other agricultural variables would mean that the U.S. could support a population the size of the Chinese population. 

Mapmuseum Books on Esri.com

The purpose of exposing us to this was to see the variety of maps that are made, who makes them, and what they can be used for. I looked at the maps provided on Volume 26 and experienced the mini scale effect. I had to zoom out to get a bigger image of the pdf map book on my web browser. This was until I realized I needed to double tap the image to pull up the zoom feature.

There was a business map on page 4, Available Commercial Space for Clark County, Nevada, that made it clear that the Parsons Corporation, the creator that this task was outsourced to, produced it to map out areas of potential commercial floor space. It was geocoded and mapped with different scale production space plots and showed the city limits; these were the two layers (personal new word application). I now know some technology that can be used for creating maps as they graphed it on ArcGIS Desktop 9.2 and printed with HP Designjet1D55.

There was a UN Map of Africa and associated island continents that used ArcGIS 9.3.1, Adobe CS 3, Avenza MaPublisher 7.3, and printed with the HP Designjet5500ps. It contained 13 layers of information including mission bridges, line codes, province details, international boundaries, dial codes, time zones, physiography, waterways and lakes, roads, railroads, and civilization features like cities, towns, and different sized airports: medium and large.

The Community College of Baltimore County created a map of Resources on the Moon, taking information from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration which showed the concentration of iron and titanium from parts of the mineral ilmenite on the near side of the moon and explained how ilmenite can be used to retain gases from the solar wind like hydrogen and helium. It also explained how it might be useful in nuclear power production. It had three layers: Apollo sites, ti by weight and fe by weight. They used the mapping technology that I now realize is standard, ArcGIS 9.3 and HP Designjet800.

Understanding Layers on ArcGIS

We looked at count data for deaths on the T3G Bird Flu Outbreak of 2003- 2006 from Jan – Apr of ‘06.  We learned how to use the classify data tools and how each option like equal intervals and standard deviations affected the way the importance of data was displayed.

This was part of a learning session where we touched on how vectors and relative coordinates can be used to create mapped images. Hopefully we will get to touch more on how to examine this data focusing on defining vector information and layers. 

Concluding Thoughts 

So far we've also looked at maps on ArcGIS, Mapfight.appspot.com, which I will personally expect to be using a lot in my future, and , and United States Geographical Survey physical maps with quadrangles. One important part of viewing these maps was reviewing metadata, which expanded the background context of the information that we viewed. This whole experience of re viewing maps offers a lot to expand our worldview and give a better sense of the area and purpose of location navigating for different stakeholders.