Marie Lorenz

“Since 2002, I have been exploring the waterways of New York City in boats that I design and build. I study tidal charts of the harbor and use the current to push the boat. From this perspective, things I encounter every day take on a new significance. I believe that the act of floating has an impact on observation. The viewer maintains an awareness of their balance and form as they absorb the details in their surrounding. This kind of observation creates something new out of something familiar. My boat projects are an attempt to un-know the metropolis by continually exploring it.” – Marie Lorenz

Marie Lorenz received a B.F.A. from Rhode Island School of Design in 1995 and an M.F.A. from Yale in 2002. She has received grants from Artists Space, the Harpo Foundation, and the Alice Kimball English Travel Fellowship. In 2008 she was awarded the Joseph H.
Hazen Rome Prize for the American Academy in Rome. Her work has been shown nationally and internationally, from High Desert Test Sites in Joshua Tree, California to Artists Space, in New York City. She has completed solo projects at Ikon Gallery in
Birmingham, England, Artpace in San Antonio, Texas, and at Jack Hanley Gallery in New York. Her ongoing project Tide and Current Taxi is an exploration of the coastline in New York City.

http://www.marielorenz.com/