Tara Roeder, Ph.D
Associate Professor
Institute for Core Studies
St. John's University

I’ve been teaching in the First Year Writing Program at St. John's University since its inception in 2006.  My research interests include multi-modal undergraduate composition, feminism and women’s writing, trauma and psychoanalytic theory, and critical animal theory/intersectional anti-speciesism. 

In several recent projects I focus on interdisciplinary, multi-modal approaches to first year composition.  A forthcoming book chapter “Re-claiming ‘Composition’: A 21st Century Interdisciplinary Imperative” (co-authored with Derek Owens for publication in the MLA collection Writing Changes) explores the history of the term “Writing Studies” and suggests that, in order to fully reflect the polymorphous nature of textual production in the 21st century, the designation “composition and design” may better call us to imagine ourselves outside the disciplinary silo of English and explore our relationships to fields such as the plastic and performing arts, web design, and engineering.  I contributed a piece entitled "On Composition and Design" to the recent Parlor Press volume Exquisite Corpse: Art-Based Writing Practices in the Academy, and have given several national conference presentations about the term.  I am currently researching an article on multi-modal, postpedagogical composing praxis that explores the role of design and collaborative assessment in first year composition.

My 2015 collection Critical Expressivsim: Theory and Practice in The Composition Classroom, co-edited with Roseanne Gatto and published by Parlor Press, puts foundational expressivists such as Peter Elbow, Thomas Newkirk, and Nancy Mack in dialogue with other established and emerging Composition and Rhetoric scholars to dismantle a “personal”/“academic” binary from a variety of perspectives, including feminism, critical empathy theory, and multi-cultural critical pedagogy.  Rhetoric Review called the collection “bold and triumphant” and states that it “has the potential to inspire a new generation of writing studies scholars, especially those concerned with genre studies, public rhetorics, and/or social justice.” 

My current book project is Dismantling Speciesism: A Liberatory EthicsIt explores the complex connections and dissonances among the animal rights movement and other liberation projects such as feminism, anti-racism, anti-colonialism, disability activism, and LGBTQ activism. 

Over the past decade I’ve given over two dozen presentations at numerous regional, national, and international conferences on topics such as digital and multi-modal composition practices, postpedagogical approaches to first year composition, and responding to trauma-based writing.  I am also active in publishing poetry and prose; since 2015, my poetry and prose has appeared in dozens of literary journals including 3:AM, fieldsThe Bombay Gin, Hobart, and THRUSH.  My most recent chapbooks are Every Bird Is A Miracle, a collaboration with visual artist Arman Safa published by DIAGRAM Press, and panic dance, published by dancing girl press. 

As an educator, I seek to create collaborative and creative spaces in which students with diverse values, educational experiences, and histories can engage composition in meaningful and innovative ways. I facilitate a flexible, workshop-based classroom environment that values interdisciplinarity, multi-modality, and student self-direction.  Every semester the writers and makers in my course publish digital portfolios that demonstrate that insightful, meaningful work can take place across a wide variety of forms, dialects, and media.