Summer II Composition Course with Prof. Torg

CRN: 30915

Course Start Date: July 5, 2017

Course End Date: August 8, 2017

CLICK HERE for writing groups. 

Have questions? I'm happy to help!

Assignments are due by 11:59 PM on the days listed below. In order to get started doing your work, just click on the assignment descriptions below. 

Due Friday, July 7th:

• Create your electronic writing portfolio. Click here for directions.

• Complete the “Create Your Writing Territories” assignment and post it to the “Assignments” section of your ePortfolio. Click here for directions.

Due Monday, July 10th: 

• Complete the “About Me” assignment. Post the essay on the “About Me” section of your ePortfolio. Click here for directions.

Due Wednesday, July 12th: 

• Post “Elbow Remix Article Response” assignment to the assignments section of your ePort. Click here for directions.

Due Friday, July 14th: 

• Create a new section on your ePort. Remember how you created a new section called, Assignments? Now create one called “Feedback Letters.” Each time you have to write feedback letters, you are going to put them in two spots: as a comment on your classmates’ ePorts and on your own ePort in the Feedback Letters section.   

• Write a letter of feedback for each “About Me” essay written by the members of your writing group. Post this letter in two places: (1) as a comment on the ePort of the person in your writing group and (2) on the “My Feedback Letters” section of your ePort. Use the guidelines in the Elbow Remix article to write your letter.

• I will add a link to writing groups here and at the top of the page when I receive all students' links to their ePorts. 

Due Monday, July 17th: 

• Read the “Introduction to the I Search Paper” and post your “I Search Proposal Letter” to the assignments section of your ePort. Click here for directions.

Due Wednesday, July 19th: 

• Read the I Search Proposal Letters written by those in your writing group. Leave a conversational comment on each proposal letter. You do not have to collect the letters on the feedback section of your ePort.

Due Friday, July 21st: 

• Post your “Scholarly Article Reading Response #1” to the assignments section of your ePortfolio. Click here for directions. 

• The Primary Research Report will take some extra time and requires an interview. It is due on Wednesday, July 26th. Be sure to plan ahead and think of someone to interview. Click here for directions to the primary research report assignment. 

Due Monday, July 24th: 

• Post your “Scholarly Article Reading Report #2” to the assignments section of your ePortfolio.

Due Tuesday, July 25th: 

• Post your “Scholarly Article Reading Report #3” to the assignments section of your ePortfolio.

Due Wednesday, July 26th: 

• Post your “Primary Research Report” to the assignments section of your ePortfolio. Click here for directions.

• The I Search Paper is due Monday, July 31st. Pay special attention to the “Minimum Requirements” part of the instructions. Click here for the directions to the assignment.

Due Monday, July 31st: 

• Post your I Search Paper to the assignments section of your ePort. Click here for directions.

Due Wednesday, August 2nd: 

• Write feedback letters for the I Search assignments posted by those in your writing group. These letters should be posted in two places: (1) as a comment on your classmates’ ePorts and (2) in the My Feedback Letters section of your ePortfolio.

• Click here for the guidelines on how to write your feedback letters for the I Search paper.

Due Thursday, August 3rd:

• Read over Prof. Torg's letter of feedback for your I Search Paper as well as the feedback letters from your classmates. In the assignments section of your ePort, post a "Revision Plan" in which you write a letter reflecting on how your first draft went and what you want to work on for your revison. 

Due Monday, August 7th: 

• Post your revision of your I Search Paper in a new section on your ePort entitled, "I Search Paper Final Draft." Prof. Torg will give you a new grade that replaces the grade you got on your first draft. 

Due Tuesday, August 8th: 

• Post your “Narrative Course Reflection” in its own section on your ePort. Click here for directions. 

There is no final exam in this course. The electronic portfolio you have been creating/posting on/building serves as your final exam. 

Hope you experienced that the acts of reading and writing can be exciting when you have choices about your work. Also hope that your idea of what it means to write--here in 2017--has been expanded. 

Congrats if you made it to the end of the course and best of luck to you as you move forward in claiming your education here at St. John's!

Best,

Bill Torgerson

@BillTorg Twitter

TheTorg.com