Brainstorming for SPN

1.Make a list of topics you know a lot about:

-Travel

-Music

-Chinese or China

-Jogging

-My family

2.Make a list of what you’d call problems (not enough sleep? can’t get everything done?) or sources of stress.

-Test or exam

-Too much work

-Don't have enough money

-Don't get along well with friends

-Argue with families

-Not enough sleep

3.Tell us about your major and why you choose it. What could you learn more about when it comes to your major and the sort of work you might do following your graduation?

-I am major in hospitality management. Ichoose it because I like meeting diffrent people and it makes me feel I am an important person. I learn how to serve people as well as how to manage my staff. After graduating, I might come back China to find a proper job.

4.List identities you claim. A few of mine would include father, teacher of writing, runner, and Norwegian.

-Chinese

-Daughter

-Traveler

-Manager in future

-Student now

5.Make a list of places you know well. There are ideas for writing in these places. Students have written about issues in their neighborhoods such as the arena going up down the street or the polluted water in the creek near their house.

-Home

-Several provinces in China

-My primary school 

6.Make a list of topics that you wish you knew more about.  Or, what are some classes you wish you could take?

-More geography information

-More psychology information

7.List some political/social issues relevant to your life.

- Medical problem in China

- Credibility issues

8.What stories do you have that you could tell about yourself? Some examples: going to school outside of your home country, going on a mission trip, or grappling with something hard that has happened in your life. Finish this sentence: I’d like to tell everyone about……

-I would like to tell everyone about there was one time when I traveled with my family during spring festivel, and I met lots of nice person. Also, there were some arugements happended in that travel,but in most of time we were having a good time.

3 Possible Research Questions:

-What can travel bring to our life?

-Does travel have any relationship with hospitality management?

-Why medical problem become serious in China?

Letter of Response to Elbow

Dear fellow writers,

The chapter that writes by Peter Elbow gives me a lot of inspiration. For example, we can learn something useful through the eassays which may not be good. "But if you only learn how people perceive and experience words you are satisfied with, you are missing a crucial area of learning.“ (Peter,77-78) Peter ELbow says that we should keep practicing writing and there is no need to worry about how is the article for that others response to our articles can make us realize where the problems are. I have to say I am totally agree with it. However, I seldom show my essayes to others so that I get less response and making progress slowly. 

Furthermore, Peter Elbow lists some responding skills which includes pointing, summarizing and telling and so on. The most important is pointing and summarizing. Besides, he also points out that no kind of reactions are wrong and we should never quarrel with other reactions. When we make response to others articles we are supposed to be more humble and sincere. Just say something in our heart and be free. What I always do is tell the writer what my true feeling is after I reading his or her article. Most of the time, I try to be encourging and  I may ask some questions if I have any problem. Up to now, I just leave several notes to show my kindness in a few classmates' introductory letters and have not made any formal comments yet.

In short, I have benefited a lot from Peter Elbow' s words. Knowing how to make a response to others articles also contibutes to how to write. When we get hang of what can strike our readers' minds, we can write some words appeal to others. 

Sincerely,

xiaoxi wang

Work cited:Peter Elbow, writing without teachers, New York: Oxford University Press 

Introductory Letter

Dear Fellow Writers,

Nice to meet you! My name is xiaoxi wang. I am come from China. I have to say that China is a fascinating country. And if there is any chance to go to China, you cannot miss it! Oh, maybe I can be your tour guide when you come to China. I am also like America. People here always make me feel happy. Although sometimes some misuderstandings might appear. When I have some time available, I like to hang around the school or some places outside the school. Besides, I also have preference for reading books, all kinds of book. Such as novels, poetry and even comics. I adhere to the view that reading can makes me more clever and intelligent. Sports also are one of my hobbies. I like jogging and swimming. I think do sports will contribute to stimulating some creative minds. To be honest, I am an easygoing person, but I am really dislike people who are arrogant or selfish.

After reading syllabus, I have a general understanding of the course. The part that Nine of the Many Beliefs Prof. Torg Has About Writing really impresses me. The last belief is that Reading and writing can be exciting when you have choices about your work. I cannot agree it more. Writting is a joyful thing, it should not be limited by anything. If we have more choices about writting, I am sure that I will love writting more.

I also want to say something about writting. There are many forms of writting and  many things can be written. For example, I like writting some stories those come from my daliy life as well as those told by other people. There is no need to apply so many beautiful words or pay attention to the structure of sentences, just write something reflecs my feeling and thoughts.

So, I believe that you have a preliminary understanding about me,right?

sincerely

xiaoxi.wang